New direction in “medication” management
Touchstone transitions away from “medication” management and offers multi-modalities with interventional pain treatments resulting in more effective and safer options for chronic pain patients.
With the new CDC guidelines now directing healthcare, clinics and doctors are taking a more serious look at the practice of prescribing potentially harmful drugs, making it clear that over-prescribing is driving an epidemic of opioid addiction. The guidelines encourage doctors to implement other programs that have more effective, healthier results than opioid pain medications when treating pain. Regarding long term chronic pain, we need to look at a better approach incorporating a network of complementary therapies for treatment of chronic pain with multiple modalities. Some of these include acupuncture, behavioral counseling, nutrition consulting, and stress / relaxation therapies.
Interventional pain treatments have improved with new emerging technologies (HF10 Therapy) which are much more effective for patients suffering long term chronic pain. We are having amazing patient results from these procedures. This is very encouraging and is a true game changer for those in chronic pain (see list below). Opioids are now recognized by the CDC and research studies to be the least effective treatment for pain and also cause serious health complications, including the possibility of addiction. The guidelines also suggest that patients question whether they need such strong drugs to control their chronic pain. CDC Guidelines 2016 : http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm
Interventional Pain Center:
- Precision Guided Diagnostic and Therapeutic Injections. Epidural/Selective Spinal Nerve Blocks
- Facet Joint Injections. Medial Branch Blocks. Joint Injections (Hip, Shoulder, Knee, Neck)
- Sacroiliac Joint Injections. Radiofrequency Ablations. Neuromodulation
- Spinal Cord Stimulation. Spinal Cord Simulator Implant. Peripheral Nerve Stimulator
- Intrathecal Pain Pump. Acupuncture. Counseling / Behavioral, Stress and Relaxation Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling. Incorporating a Network of Complementary Therapies
- Nevro Senza HF10 Therapy: Anesthesiology October 2015, Vol.123, 851-860. doi:10.1097/ALN.0000000000000774
- Spinal Cord Stimulation: Neuromodulation. 2013 Jul-Aug;16(4):370-5. doi: 10.1111/ner.12032. Epub 2013 Feb 21.
- Radiofrequency Ablations: Pain. 2011 Mar;152(3):481-7.doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2010.09.029.Epub 2010 Nov 4
- Nutritional Benefits chronic pain: PMID:25888381[PubMed-indexed for MELINE] PMCID:PMC4397667
- Acupuncture Benefits: Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(19):1444-1453. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2012.3654
- Behavioral counseling, Stress, relaxation therapy benefits: J Pain. 2008 Sep;9(9):841-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2008.04.003. Epub 2008 Jun 12. Altern Ther Health Med. 2005 Jul-Aug;11(4):44-52.